Re: fail instead of defer ?? Re: [exim] really old mail hang…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: fail instead of defer ?? Re: [exim] really old mail hanging around
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> > 2004-08-31 08:40:49 mailman@??? R=userforward defer (-1): failed to
> > stat /nonexistent/. (No such file or directory)
>
> And as a follow-up, how can I set it so that this sort of system level error
> causes a failure instead of a defer?

By an appropriate retry rule, but it isn't possible to pick up that
specific error. The best you could do would be to write a rule that
mapped to mailman@???, or perhaps to *@shire.net if that's what
you want. A rule such as

mailman@??? *

(note: NO retry times specified) should turn all temporary delivery
errors for the address mailman@??? into immediate bounces.