Re: [exim] Separate spool directories

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steven A. Reisman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Separate spool directories
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Steven A. Reisman wrote:

> If you can't deliver via SMTP right away, your router can fail over to
> a UUCP router/transport. That takes messages out of Exim's queue and
> hands them off to UUCP which queues them by host and was designed from
> the beginning as a store-and-forward transport protocol.

The advice for queueing mail for dial-in hosts has always been to get it
off Exim's queue. I'm sure this is mentioned in the FAQ and elsewhere.

> Ideally, your peers would run UUCP and there'd be cron scripts to
> periodically poll... Hmmm... I wonder if there's a way you can test
> when the peer is up again, pickup that peer's UUCP queue yourself,
> and reinject it back into Exim. You'd have to consider a possible,
> local Exim <-> UUCP routing loop, but it might be doable...

Quite a few years ago a neat configuration for doing this by
"delivering" messages into files in BSMTP format was posted. This was
for dial-in hosts. When the host dialed in and issued ETRN, the mail is
fed back to Exim and delivered. Automatically.