RE: [exim] SMTP Transport: Try different interfaces

Autor: Sheldon Hearn
A: Jan-Peter Koopmann
CC: Exim Users Mailing List, peter
Assumpte: RE: [exim] SMTP Transport: Try different interfaces
On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 09:02, Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

> always uses the second line for outgoing mail. Now what happens if the
> second line has a problem? The router will stay up and therefore the
> firewall will not take the corresponding interface down. Therefore the
> source route will still be active and exim will still try to deliver
> mail over the second line even though it has problems.

So your problem really comes down to this: how do I know whether one of
my routes is working?

That question can be answered in a number of ways, including the use of
the mon package or homegrown scripts. But basically, it's pretty
trivial to test reachability, and equally trivial to affect routing
based on the test result and previous state.

So once your system is testing and responding to route failure
dynamically, _all_ your applications now benefit, and you don't need
custom hacks for each one.

This is just my approach. It's not "the right way", I just think it
makes sense.

Ciao,
Sheldon.