RE: [exim] SMTP Transport: Try different interfaces

Author: Jan-Peter Koopmann
To: Sheldon Hearn, peter
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [exim] SMTP Transport: Try different interfaces
On Thursday, January 20, 2005 10:16 PM exim-users-bounces@??? wrote:

> Personally, I think this is silly.
>
> Sure, you can do it in Exim. But Exim's not the best tool.
>
> With Linux, the best tool would probably be advanced routing (using
> the iproute2 package), getting subsystems closest to the
> periodically available interfaces to manage it.

Well. First of all we do not use Linux but FreeBSD. Second, how would iproute2 help in this situation? This is the setup:

First line pppoe connected directly to the firewall (which is doing pppoe).
Second line connected via a seperate router to the firewall as well.
Default route go out both lines with the first line having a better preference so all traffic usually goes out that way.

If the first line goes down the interface goes down as well and all traffic uses the second line. So far so good. Only problem: The first line has a dial-up IP so that e-mail sending over it is a problem. We therefore configured the system using source routes so that exim always uses the second line for outgoing mail. Now what happens if the second line has a problem? The router will stay up and therefore the firewall will not take the corresponding interface down. Therefore the source route will still be active and exim will still try to deliver mail over the second line even though it has problems.

Therefore I need exim to be able to try a second interface if the TCP connect on the first one is not successful.

> Just because a cheese grater is so flexible that you can use
> one to shave your beard, doesn't mean it's the best way to do so. :-)

Tell me a different way for this problem and I will be grateful forever... :-)

Kind regards,
JP