Re: [exim] Local_Scan Question...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: . kibble .
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Local_Scan Question...
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, . kibble . wrote:

> I have a piece of code using the local scan api. Every so often I get this in
> my exim_mainlog:
> local_scan() function crashed with signal 11 - message temporarily rejected
>
> Is there anyway I can debug this? There is no core created for me to use
> gdb... This only happens when two or more emails are submitted at once, so I
> believe it is an error in my code which I want to find out where it is
> happening...

That there is no core is probably because Exim is a setuid binary. It's
a security issue, of course. I seem to recall that some operating
systems (Solaris, I think, but maybe others) have some kind of global
switch you can set to allow core dumps from setuid binaries. If you have
that, you may be able to get a core.

Otherwise, you will have to modify your code to write log lines or to
write to a private file to gain more debugging information. Does your
code do anything external? That is, does it read or write files, for
example? If so, you need to make it robust against being run
simultaneously by two different Exim reception processes.