Re: [exim] TNEF attachments

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TNEF attachments
On 18 Jan 2005, José de Paula Eufrásio Júnior wrote:

> There're some attachments being munched by a exchange server, and all my
> users receive is winmail.dat files.

Just tell them to turn off "rich text sending" in the piece of crap which
they are using called Outlook. Apparently some jumped-up techie(s) at
Microsoft decided that MIME wasn't good enough for them so they needed to
pointless version of it called TNEF. It is apparently not supposed to use
it when sending outside of an organisation, but clearly it's yet another
thing that is broken in Lookout.

> I read about using wrappers to convert it to MIME, but I want to know
> if somebody has already done something for exim/exiscan recognize and
> automagically convert the attachments from a incoming message.

Don't waste your time. It just encourages people to think that it's OK to
send this crap around. Bear in mind that not even Microsoft's own Outlook
Extrashite can read this junk. Get the senders to turn off rich text. Read
this:

http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20041004/msg00139.html

Tim