Re: [exim] perl writes STDERR output to the client!

Author: David Woodhouse
To: 2005reply
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] perl writes STDERR output to the client!
On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 15:49 +0000, Martin Nicholas wrote:
> I've cracked a problem causing disconnections by clients.
> Output from perl's "warn" statement is written to the client interface by
> default. Library routines (Mail::SRS for example) are unaware of this and the
> client disconnects having been fed garbage.

You don't actually need Mail::SRS to do SRS in Exim -- it's doable
purely in routers. http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/include/routers-ses
has an example, which behaves better than Mail::SRS will because it'll
perform the mangling only when it's actually _necessary_, rather than on
all mail. It's documented at http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html but the
configuration shown there is more complicated because it includes
workarounds for problems with older versions of Exim.

Actually I only really use that for preventing fake bounces to myself; I
don't do SRS for forwarded messages because I haven't added many domains
to my 'spf-afflicted-domains' configuration lookup file. You probably
shouldn't bother with SRS -- SPF is a fundamentally broken concept
anyway. See http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html

--
dwmw2