Re: [exim] Connection refused

Autor: Bill Hacker
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Connection refused
Menekhem M. Zviman wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Menekhem M. Zviman wrote:
>>

>>> I recently installed EXIM 4. When I try to connect from either the
>>> server or
>>> another computer on the local network I get the error: Could not
>>> conneect to
>>> server XXXXX; the connection ws refused.
>>>

>> Are you running `exim -bd`? Do you have a firewall?
>>
>> Tony.
>>

> I do run 'exim4 -bd'. The firwall is disabled because I'm behined a
> router with a firewall.
>
> Muz

Is that 'router with a firewall' you are behind transparent to smtp?

- how about your 'upstream bandwidth provider'?

Barring smtp ports to other than their own hosts in their
router/firewalls is very common.

Try adding non-standard ports to your Exim ~/configure, reloading it,
and see if you can access Exim on those ports with telnet, an MUA, or
another MTA you have control of.

Here is a sample from one of our servers:

# MAIN: listen on several ports to bypass rude ISP's. 13.5, 13.6.
#
local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0.25 : 0.0.0.0.209 : 0.0.0.0.220 : 0.0.0.0.465
: 0.0.0.0.587

'13.5, 13.6' refers to the Exim 4.X Specification document sections
that cover the entry.
RTFM for more info on this and related settings.

HTH

Bill Hacker