[exim] Re: Shared /var/spool/exim?

Author: Axel Thimm
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Shared /var/spool/exim?
On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:39:11PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >
> > for setting up exim on several boxes with shared storage, is it safe
> > to share not only /var/spool/mail, but also /var/spool/exim across
> > cluster members?
>
> You must ensure that file locking workes on the shared volume. This has
> historically been problematic with NFS, hence the rather complicated
> locking protocols used by the appendfile transport. However some people
> (for example, demon.nl) have successfully used spools shared via NFS.
> You should learn about the localhost_number option.

Thanks, the storage is targetted for a SAN (GFS), e.g. the exim
processes on the different cluster members will use conventional POSIX
local file locking mechanisms (as if multiple exim daemon would be
running on the same host). I would also use Maildir to evade any
locking on the spool dir. Before going to the SAN, we will have a test
setup on NFS basis.

But what about the queues? How are these handled? Can these be shared
as well?

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net