RE: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any governm…

Author: David Brodbeck
Subject: RE: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any government

Now, now. He's right in a way. Virus scanners are a stopgap. A useful
stopgap, but still a stopgap.

The underlying problem is that people are emailing around executable code to
begin with. There's almost no legitimate reason for it. (And before you
say something about Word documents and macros, I don't think there's any
legitimate reason for word processor documents to be able to carry
system-damaging code, either.)

The widespread use of virus scanners has, if anything, set us BACK by
allowing vendors to brush off this underlying problem by passing the buck.
"Don't worry about the insecurity of our products. Just use a virus
scanner, you'll be okay."

> > Any corporate security officer who even dreams of stopping covert
> > channels isn't worth even a penny of what he or she is
> being paid and
> > they'll ultimately do more damage to their company than good.
>
> Your perception. I agree it is nearly impossible if you have
> capable IT
> guys and to stop covert channes in an ISP-like company is close to
> impossible. But for many of our clients we are able to get unwanted
> communication close to zero. Without damage to the company.

So...no floppy drives, no USB ports, no cell phones...that's a start. Then
you get into the really tricky ones. (And that's leaving out the obvious
stuff, like monitoring phone conversations and blocking webmail providers.)