Re: [exim] Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many conne…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many connections, SMTP timeout problems]
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Tony Finch wrote:

> This is actually a useful feature of SpamAssassin. It does DNSBL checks
> for earlier hops in the message's journey using the Received: headers,
> which is useful for spam that has been relayed.

It surely is.

> Exim can't do this.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. Exim doesn't do this itself, but
it's possible to program this in the DATA ACL.

Case in point: we used to get offered rather too much spam by certain
specific sites at which our users tend to have forwarding addresses.
Prior to being able to deal with this in spamassassin, I had written a
"leaky forwarders" test in the DATA ACL, which inspects the Received:
headers from these sites until they find the address from which the
forwarding site had accepted the item, and then rates the IP of that
offering site against dnsRBLs. It was a solution written to solve a
specific problem, but I guess it could be generalised ("could have
been generalised").

I'll freely agree that it would now be better to use spamassassin's
own facilities, rather than cooking-up one's own. I'm only quibbling
at your statement that exim "can't" do this.

all the best