[exim] defer (-1): remote host address is the local host

Author: Marten Lehmann
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] defer (-1): remote host address is the local host
Hello,

I have a constellation where on a certain server one instance of exim is
sending mail (having it's own spool) and it is sending all mail to a
smarthost through smtp running on the same server.
When I'm sending a mail from the client to the smarthost, the following
lines appear in mainlog:

2005-01-11 23:02:44 1CoU68-0006IK-2Q <= lehmann@??? U=root P=local S=309
2005-01-11 23:02:44 1CoU68-0006IK-2Q remote host address is the local
host: cnm.de
2005-01-11 23:02:44 1CoU68-0006IK-2Q == lehmann@??? R=to_smarthost
defer (-1): remote host address is the local host
2005-01-11 23:02:44 1CoU68-0006IK-2Q Frozen

The reason for this constellation is, that we have one small exim
instance on each server, that is simply sending everything to the
smarthost. /usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail are also provided by
this package. And because it is installed on all servers since all
servers shall have an identical configuration of the base system, it is
also installed on the smarthost. I don't want to create a special
package because this would cause trouble in the automated updates of the
base configuration. How can I omit this problem?

Regards
Marten