Re: [exim] ClamAV scan permissions?

Author: Stephen Gran
Subject: Re: [exim] ClamAV scan permissions?
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:40:13PM -0500, David S. Madole said:
> From: "Nigel Metheringham" <Nigel.Metheringham@???>
> >On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 07:40 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> >>I have ClamAV in the Mail group so it it should have rights to the
> >>scan
> >>directory itself - and it does. But - it seems that it does not have
> >>access to the directories that Exim creates within the scan directory.
> >
> >Have you set AllowSupplementaryGroups in clamd.conf?
>
> I can't see that it really matters, because exim (exiscan really) creates
> the mbox directories as 0750 and clamd needs to write into the directory
> to de-MIME the mbox file into separate files for each MIME part. No
> matter what group clamd is a member of, it still won't be able to write
> into a 0750 directory, right?

AllowSupplementaryGroups means clamd has access to group permissions that
you have set for it. The little known option TemporaryDirectory sets
where unpacking takes place, and deaults IIRC to /tmp, so you shouldn't
need write permissions on the scan/ directory.

If you are getting access denied errors, try AllowSupplementaryGroups -
you will get other errors for failed unpacking.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The telephone is a good way to talk to  |
|  steve@???             | people without having to offer them a   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | drink.   -- Fran Lebowitz, "Interview"  |