Re: [exim] Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many conne…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many connections, SMTP timeout problems]
On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 10:24 +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> The single issue that doesn't make any sense to me is that when I stop
> exim (/etc/init.d/exim4 stop), there are still running exim4 processes 3
> seconds later.

Although I don't know exactly how debian does its startup/shutdown
scripts, I would expect "/etc/init.d/exim4 stop" to stop the running
daemon. The other exim processes - ie those handling messages (in
particular delivery processes which can be quite long lived if connected
to slow remote sites), queue runners etc will still be running.

3 seconds sounds like a very small amount of time for processes involved
in complex remote operations and database lookups (ie DNS) to complete.

    Nigel.