Re: AW: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any gov…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Steffen Heil
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: AW: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any government
[ On Monday, January 10, 2005 at 22:14:30 (+0100), Steffen Heil wrote: ]
> Subject: AW: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any government
>
> > The "existing techiques" are in fact to use end-to-end
> > encryption by using the likes of PGP.
>
> There IS another security technique (which is the same behind the scenes)
> which is as secure. It is S/MIME. It works as well as PGP but is easier for
> key verification.

I said "likes of PGP" for a reason. ;-)

I don't like S/MIME, but that way I didn't exclude it either.

> I do not understand why so many people prefer to use propietary gpg or pgp,
> when s/mime is available for such a long time.

Huh?

First off there's _NOTHING_ "proprietary" about PGP (or GPG).

Also, assuming that you really meant "out-dated and deprecated RFC 1991
message format", well all modern versions GPG and PGP do support the
more modern RFC 2440 plus RFC 3156 formats (aka the most poorly named
"OpenPGP/MIME" format), so far as I know. (MailCrypt for Emacs doesn't,
nor does my mailer using MailCrypt, but that's another story :-)

S/MIME though is something entirely different that seemingly just won't
die and go away quitely like it probably should. :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>