Re: [exim] Q: Howto setup a simple mailinglist?

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim-users
Stephan Pietzko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i am using a more or less standard exim setup.
>
> Now i like to use a very simple Mailinglist.
> The list is very static and small, so that it is enough to have a list
> of users in the aliases file.
>
> But in this case the hole world can send to this alias, but i like to
> have an ACL for this alias, so that only one sender or users only from
> our local domain can send to this list.
>
> I have seen in the doku that i have lots of possibilities with
> filters and acls, but i don't know where to begin.
> Or is it easier so setup an ordinary mailinglist?
>
> tnx Stephan

Exim can easily do a lot of basic MLM 'broadcast' functions with its own
code, and more yet with most any form of database integration.

But handling messages is the easy part of an MLM. It is the
administration and configuration - and how it fits with your
user-group's preferences - that sets them apart.

Managing the list, subscribe, unsubscribe, 'moderating', 'digests',
de-mime, adding the often-legally-mandated footers, and such are
features you may eventually have to implement. Easier to install a
proven MLM which has all these - even for a small list.

'Mailman' probably has the 'bestest/mostest' documentation and most
common adoption with Exim.

We prefer the 'Ecartis' feature set, especially remote-admin, filtering,
re-writing, and security. Ecartis is 'MTA agnostic' and has required
zero reconfiguration as we have migrated through several MTA's.

YMMV, of course - but it is easy to try several.

Bill Hacker