Re: [exim] check_helo_slow?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Richard.Hall
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] check_helo_slow?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 21:51 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > >
> > > deny    message = REJECTED - Bad HELO - IP address not allowed ($sender_helo_name)
> > >       condition = ${if isip{$sender_helo_name} {true} {false} }

> > That would only match raw IP addresses, which would have been rejected
> > for being syntactically invalid anyway.
>
> Actually, Exim's HELO name syntax checking is very lax and it's quite
> happy with bare IP addresses, double dots, etc. The check above is very
> effective and highly recommended.

I thought so too - until the false positives started rolling in. Too many
for poor li'l ol' me to deal with. End-users, customers (i.e. the ones who
actually pay us money!), big mailing-lists, you name it. Too many for me
to dig my heels in about.

Add to that the fact that the vast majority of the spam that this
identifies is blocked by other checks anyway and, for me at least, it
wasn't worth the candle.

YMMV. HTH,
Richard