[exim] Backup MX, Too many "Received" headers - suspected ma…

Author: Zlatko Mesaros
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Backup MX, Too many "Received" headers - suspected mail loop
I'm using exim-4.20-6_07 on Red Hat 9, on two servers.
One is configured as MX with priority 10
the other has MX priority of 100
The servers are on two different Internet links.
Backup MX is not doing any local delivery.
I've added to exim4.conf on backup MX the following line:
domainlist relay_to_domains = domainname.com
where domainname.com is replaced by name of my actual domain.
While the primary server is available everything works fine.
If any mail for domainname.com is delivered to backup MX -
it gets forwarded to primary MX and the primary MX performs local delivery.
Once the primary server is unavailable - all the e-mails go to backup MX
but it doesn't store them for later delivery. Instead it tries to
deliver them
to the available MX - which in this case happens to be the same computer
and then the looping occurs.
How can I make it wait for the primary MX to come back online and
only then to make the delivery.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Zlatko