Re: [exim] Problem with Maildir delivery

Autor: Stephen Gran
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problem with Maildir delivery
On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 01:08:32AM +0000, Peter Whysall said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 12:10:15AM +0000, Peter Whysall said:
>
> >It appears that you use maildrop, so it is unclear to me why you don't
> >just use the maildrop router, but to each their own. Leaving the
> >procmail router does no harm if procmail is not installed, but if you
> >want the shortest possible configuration that gets the job done, you can
> >of course remove it.
>
> I have removed the procmail and userforward routers, to adopt your
> cogent suggestion of using the maildrop router. The maildrop router is
> after the spamcheck router, but before the local_user router.

So the maildrop router will process the mail, not the local_user router.
Maybe I'm not making this clear enough - you are never getting to the
local_user router in this situation, ever.

> >The local_user router would only deliver to maildir_home transport if it
> >was ever reached - since routing stops at forward_file, it never makes
> >it that far. Investigate maildrop.
>
> What seems to be happening is that the spamcheck router is grabbing the
> message and handing it off to the spamcheck transport; in my mental
> model, once the spam thingy has done its thing, the message is then
> passed back for processing via the instructions in .mailfilter, courtesy
> of the maildrop router; this consists of a number of "if this regex,
> then move the message to this folder" statements.

No, processing begins again at the top for each message - it does not
resume where it left off. As far as exim is concerned, it is a new
message. So, the last line in your maildrop presumably falls through to
the mailspool.

> I think that I need some way of skipping the spamcheck router if a
> message has already passed through it. Is this right?

You should have a condition on your spamcheck router already that
handles this, if you've cut-n-pasted the standard snippet.

Again - local_user router never gets reached. Investigate maildrop to
see why your delivery goes to the wrong place. This is not an exim
issue - it is doing what you told it to, and handing the message off to
maildrop.
|  Stephen Gran                  | No, I don't have a drinking problem.  I |
|  steve@???             | drink, I get drunk, I fall down.  No    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | problem!                                |