[exim] smtp_active_hostname

Author: Michael F. Sprague
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] smtp_active_hostname
Hi folks,

I have a question on the usage of smtp_active_hostname. I have an exim server
on which I'd like to present a different hostname than $primary_hostname. I
have set smtp_active_hostname as the docs suggest.

I also have a custom smtp_banner setup. My question is, how can I use the
value of smtp_active_hostname in smtp_banner (as the docs suggest)? If I
put $smtp_active_hostname where I would usually put $primary_hostname I get a
panic. Here are snippets from the config:

smtp_active_hostname = mailsvr.example.com

smtp_banner = "${primary_hostname} ESMTP MTA ${tod_full}\nWe dos \
not authorize the use of its proprietary computers and networks\n\
to accept, transmit or distribute unsolicited bulk email sent from the\n\
Internet."

Now if I replace ${primary_hostname} with ${smtp_active_hostname} I get this
error:

2004-12-21 10:53:32 Expansion of "${smtp_active_hostname} ESMTP MTA ${tod_full}
We do not authorize the use of its proprietary computers and networks
to accept, transmit or distribute unsolicited bulk email sent from the
Internet." (smtp_banner) failed: unknown variable in "${smtp_active_hostname}"

But if I leave primary_hostname, then I get the actual primary_hostname.

I was able to work around this using macros since I am just doing a one for one
swap, but I imagine this would be a pain if it was being used for multi-homed
servers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
mikeS

--
Michael Sprague  | mfs@???
Partner          | System and Network Engineering (SaNE), LLC