Re: [exim] not syslogging correctly

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mike Sturdee
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] not syslogging correctly
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Mike Sturdee wrote:

> > 2. As far as I can see from the code, Exim should just write the text to
> > syslog. To debug this further, additional debugging code will have to be
> > added to Exim to check that statement.

I have now tested this myself on a Gentoo Linux system running the
traditional sysklogd daemon. The debug output buffer has been increased
so that it can show long debug output lines. It is clear from the
debugging output that Exim IS passing a long string to the syslog()
function, but the string is being truncated. It seems clear that it is
syslog() that is doing the truncation. I am not surprised at this,
because standard syslog always did have a limit of 1024 bytes. This is
mentioned in RFC 3164. That's why Exim by default splits up long log
lines.

So it would seem that you are also running a syslog facility that does
not handle long lines.

Philip