Re: [exim] SMTP logging

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: Peter Velan
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP logging
* Peter Velan <pv0001@???> [20041220 13:04]: wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like the format of exim-logs, but this doesn't allways reflect what is
> going out to and comming in from hosts connecting to my machine.

I don't understand your point. So what is it that you like about logs
that "don't show" what you want? ;)

Anyway, what Exim writes to the log files is determined by, amongst
other things, the options you give to "log_selector". If you grep
for that from your Exim config file, what do you have? You could
as well check the different options that are accepted by this
parameter. See spec.txt.

> What must I do, to have an exact local copy of the SMTP protocol with
> the outside world (I mean something looking like a manual SMTP-sesssion
> via telnet)?

You want all that verbose information? Then just play with log_selector,
but please remember - Exim is Exim! It's not MDaemon, it's not Sendmail,
etc. It's Exim, with it's own style.

One last suggestion: Have you tried running Exim with -d switch? If that
fails to give you what you want as well, then whatever you want is just
not available within Exim ;)

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post