Re: [exim] Re: SMTP Authentication out of the box

Author: Miros/law Baran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: SMTP Authentication out of the box
17.12.2004 pisze Ron McKeating (R.J.Mckeating@???):

> > * <chmod a+r /etc/shadow>? Ouch, why did I choose shadow-passwords in
> > the first place?
> > * <chgrp exim /etc/shadow> This will break vlock, chage, and other
> > SGID shadow stuff.
> This is what we do and we seem to be living with it ok. I know it is not
> perfect but we simply MUST have authenticated SMTP. It is a compromise I
> know but if anybody has a better solution I am happy to listen. And no I
> am not going down the sasl authd route.

Well, could you explain the reason of not using saslauthd in your
configuration? It's simple, secure and efficient, does not break
another software. And it is working right out of the box.

I'd like to know why is the saslauthd so bad, that you did elect to make
such exaggerate comments.

yours sincerely,
Jubal

--
[ Miros/law L Baran, baran-at-knm-org-pl, neg IQ, cert AI ] [ 0101010 is ]
[ BOF2510053411, makabra.knm.org.pl/~baran/, alchemy pany ] [ The Answer ]

     Skinner's Constant (or Flannagan's Finagling Factor):
       That quantity which, when multiplied by, divided by, added to,
       or subtracted from the answer you get, gives you the answer you
       should have gotten.