Re: [exim] Now exim segfault in a very strange way :-/ (was:…

Author: Marc Schiffbauer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Now exim segfault in a very strange way :-/ (was: Re: Why does exim4 stat /boot and /proc/<pid>/mounts very often?)
* Philip Hazel schrieb am 17.12.04 um 15:14 Uhr:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
>
> > sorry if I my question was a bit misleading. I know strace.. but I
> > wondered how to call exim with strace on a production box that is
> > already running the exim daemon to reproduce the stat() calls..
>
> Oh, I wasn't thinking of stracing a production system. You should be
> able to strace a single mail delivery without having to mess with the
> daemon.

ah ok. Will try that later.

> > Now I tried to send an email (using my local exim3 that connects to
> > the exim 4.34 that we are talking about). But that did not work
> > anymore! (after the strace call on the production box)
>
> > I asked a friend to try that telnet call.
> > Success. (?!!??) I use dialup for my internet connection
> > via some different providers... so I changed the provider... and
> > (STRANGE!) it worked now for me too... exim3 could empty its queue
> > and deliver the testmessage to my production box.
> >
> > Reverting back to the other provider restores the problem although I
> > got a different IP.
>
> That is, of course, completely weird. I'm afraid I've never used dialup
> and know nothing about it.

Does exim store hostnames and/or domains in any db file it uses? May
it be that there is a broken entry caused by the crash that makes
exim4 crashing when reading that entry again?

> > I logged one of that strace calls where it was segfaulting. Is that
> > of interest for you?
>
> If it is Exim 4 then yes, though I'm not too interested in 4.34 any
> more; if it is Exim 3 then I'm not interested, I'm afraid.

Its the debian woody backport of exim 4.34. And yes the trace is
from that exim. I will PM you the trace file, ok?

Thanks for oyu help

-Marc

--
8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134