Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box

Author: Tommy Butler
To: exim-users
CC: Fred Viles
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box

Fred Viles said:
> On 16 Dec 2004 at 15:00, Fred Viles wrote about
>     "Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out ":

> | On 16 Dec 2004 at 16:46, Tommy Butler wrote about
> |     "Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out ":

> | | EUREKA!!!  I FOUND IT!!!  Who would have known it would be as simple
> as this!
> | |
> | | I just needed to add the following to the main section of my config
> | | hostlist auth_relay_hosts = *
> |
> | Adding that line to the config file you posted earlier should have no
> | effect at all.

It sure as hell did!

> Hmm, taking another look at it I notice that you already had the
> necessary clause in your RCPT ACL.

Yes I did, but without the addition of the above, it was not demanding
that authentication be carried out. Rather, you didn't have to log in at
all. I just connected and sent mail. Now it not only demands that you
authenticate, but also enforces that authentication be carried out only if
the connection is encrypted (TLS) --that was due to the good advice of the
OP.

> So while adding the above hostlist definition did nothing, nothing
> needed to be done.

It would seem you are mistaken; at least in my case. Would you like to
see my config file. I can restore it to the previous state and let you
connect to see for yourself that you can send email without auth.

> What made you think it was not working?

Well, the fact that it wasn't.

--
Tommy Butler <tommy@???>