Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box
On 16 Dec 2004 at 16:00, Tommy Butler wrote about
    "Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out ":

| Fred Viles wrote:
|
| > On 16 Dec 2004 at 15:42, Tommy Butler wrote about
| >     "Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out ":

| > | My only question now is how do force the remote client to authenticate?
| >
| > Forcing *remote* clients to authenticate is a side effect of shuting
| > down promiscuous relaying, assuming you have added an "accept" stanza
| > to your RCPT ACL for authenticated connections.  Authenticating
| > should be the only way an outside client can get a relay message
| > accepted.
|
| Yes, but /how/?  I need remote clients to authenticate.

The factory default config file already does this (exim "factory",
not necessarily Debian), via:

accept authenticated = *

Search spec.txt for "authenticated = *".

| How do I shut off "promiscuous relaying" as you say?

Sorry, I used a different term for "open relay". You've said you've
already done this.

- Fred