Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombar…

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Tommy Butler
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] Math
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombarded with spam?
Tommy Butler wrote:
> I tried the following:
> domainlist relay_to_domains = *
> #domainlist relay_to_domains = *
> domainlist relay_to_domains =
> domainlist relay_to_domains = localhost
> domainlist relay_to_domains = cityairlines.net
>
> none of which worked.

Philip already stated about incoming/outgoing relaying.

> >You need to set up other ways for authentication for outgoing e-mail.
> >Typical ways for simple setups are relaying messages that come in from
> >your local network, or to use SMTP AUTH.
>
> This is why I'm trying to get SSL support working; so I can close port 25
> and only allow mail that is authenticated via SSL

If you close off port 25, you WILL NOT receive mail from the internet.

Firstly, I noticed from the image, you are using windows xp. I doubt this
is the same machine as the server. Your server *IS NOT* letting you relay
through it. You should either setup authentication, or you should let that
host relay by using relay_from_hosts.

Before you setup authentication, you may want to raise the rule higher in
the acl so that other checks won't stop your authenticated users. Just
remember, there are people out there who attempt authentication against your
server using bad usernames/passwords in hopes your authentication is broken.
(ie, random username blank password. or admin admin)