Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombar…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Tommy Butler
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombarded with spam?
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tommy Butler wrote:

> I tried the following:
> domainlist relay_to_domains = *
> #domainlist relay_to_domains = *
> domainlist relay_to_domains =
> domainlist relay_to_domains = localhost
> domainlist relay_to_domains = cityairlines.net
>
> none of which worked.

I think[*] the fundamental problem here is that you are unclear about
INCOMING relaying and OUTGOING relaying. The relay_to_domains setting is
for controlling INCOMING relaying; it names the domains for which you
are prepared to relay mail, from any host on the Internet. Hence setting
it to "*" is a bad idea, as it makes you an open relay.

If you want to send mail from, say, your desktop, via the Exim server,
to the world, that is OUTGOING relaying. In the default configuration it
is controlled by the relay_from_hosts setting, which defaults to

domainlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1

That is, by default, the server will relay only from itself. If you want
the server to allow outgoing relaying from your local LAN, set something
like

domainlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : 192.168.3.0/24
                                      Your LAN network here.

The comments in the default configuration that comes with Exim do, I
hope, explain this fairly clearly.

[*] Apologies if I'm off the subject here; I haven't really been
following this thread.