Re: [exim] How can I tell if my server is getting bombarded …

Autor: Adam D. Barratt
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How can I tell if my server is getting bombarded with spam?
On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 10:25 PM, Tommy Butler <tommy@???>
wrote:

> Bob Branch wrote:

[...]
>> Debian's default config relays to noone, but you should test your
>> server to check for open relay.
>
> Well it I'm afraid that all signs point to yes. I regret to say it,
> but I've just shut down exim4 until I can figure out why this is. I
> did not modify the exim4 conf at all other than to try and enable TLS
> support and I only added the following lines:

Looking at the autogenerated config file you posted, there's a glaring hole
which is the cause of your problems:

54 domainlist relay_to_domains = *

You should have been asked a debconf question during install of the exim4
packages (exim4-config, to be precise) that said:

| Please enter here the domains for which you accept to relay the mail.

| Such domains are domains for which you are prepared to accept mail
| from anywhere on the Internet. Do not mention local domains here.

| The domains you enter here should be separated by colons. Wildcards
| may be used.

Note the phrase "domains for which you are prepared to accept mail from
anywhere on the Internet". You appear to have answered "*" to that question,
making you an instant open relay.

NB The default for that question is '' (i.e. nothing). Unless you have any
non-local domains for which you want to unconditionally accept mail from
anywhere, it should stay that way.

hth

Adam