Re: [exim] Can anyone shed light the error no IP address f…

Author: EXIM USER
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Can anyone shed light the error no IP address found for host
Fred,

         Never Mind there was a Mismatch between the A record  and the
Reverse name... That has been corrected...   The error does seem misleading
though,  Not in this case but when my server sends mail out to another Exim
server I see a similar error ( warning )

>| 2004-12-14 10:46:34 no IP address found for host dell-dad.kmb.com (during
>| SMTP connection from [192.168.22.6])

The above was a correct report as I had a typo in the DNS record

Here is the log line from a system that is receiving mail from my server

2004-12-14 19:56:47 no IP address found for host spark.kmb.com (during SMTP
connection from [66.189.23.169]:22177)
2004-12-14 19:56:49 1CeNTE-0003Gg-A0 <= kmb@??? H=(hpserver.kmb.com)
[66.189.23.169]:22177 P=esmtp S=958
id=6.1.2.0.2.20041214200519.02525640@192.168.22.100

If i do a DNS lookup on sparc.kmb.com on that system this is the results of
the query.

[root@boston root]# dig sparc.kmb.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> sparc.kmb.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sparc.kmb.com.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sparc.kmb.com.          38082   IN      A       66.189.23.169

;; Query time: 92 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.2.2#53(192.168.2.2)
;; WHEN: Tue Dec 14 20:06:15 2004
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 47

and a Reverse Lookup results in

[root@boston root]# host 66.189.23.169
169.23.189.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer spark.kmb.com.
[root@boston root]#

>There is no A (Address) record in the DNS named "dell-dad.kmb.com",
>which is the name the client at 192.168.22.6 passed on its EHLO
>command. This is an informational log message.

If this is the case I would have expected to see the no IP address line
report back the name used in the EHLO,
that would be hpserver.kmb.com in the case of the instance above.

If all is well with this I would suggest that the error is
incorrect.    The system can resolve both sparc.kmb.com as well as
hpserver.kmb.com ( the same system two addresses )