Re: [exim] Discarding a message without reason?

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Fred Viles
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Discarding a message without reason?
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Fred Viles wrote:

> This sounds like you are now talking about backscatter from delivery
> failues at other domains where your postmaster address was the
> spoofed sender, which is a different issue.

Sorry about that - a lapse of concentration - I started by talking
about one specific cause of abusive items in the postmaster mailbox,
and then rambled off about various other causes. Apologies.

> Are you really differentiating the two cases?

Fair comment.

We indeed get some of the kind I was originally mentioning; delivery
attempts which faked our postmaster address as envelope-sender weren't
very common in the past, but seems to have got rather too popular
recently. As you rightly say, the normal perpetrators of such
addresses aren't going to try sending us a non-delivery report about
our rejection, but there's a minority of cases where it happens,
nevertheless.

Sorry for the confusion, though.