Re: [exim] Discarding a message without reason?

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Discarding a message without reason?
[Thread hijack in progress...]

On 10 Dec 2004 at 0:08, Alan J. Flavell wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Discarding a message wit":

| On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Fred Viles wrote:
|
| > It means you wouldn't discard any messages, inexplicably or
| > otherwise.
|
| Of course, when we helpfully reject spam or malware addressed to one
| of our users, which has its sender address faked as our postmaster,
| then the offering site is inclined to report the non-delivery to its
| envelope-sender, namely and to whit, our postmaster address - which
| side-steps most of the defences in order to conform with the RFC
| mandates.

Interesting. Do you really see that happening much? ISTM that:

1. The majority of spam & malware these days is offered directly by
spamware/malware, and as such rejection does not led to DSNs to
anybody.

2. Very little spam/malware these days is offered with the local
domain spoofed in the sender address. We get virtually none at all
here, though it's a low volume site.

3. If postmaster is a read-only address, DSNs to postmaster can be
rejected.

- Fred