Re: [exim] DENY vs. DROP

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users@exim.org
Assumpte: Re: [exim] DENY vs. DROP
On 12/8/2004 13:01, "Marc Perkel" <marc@???> wrote:

> OK - I think I get it but maybe I don't.
>
> When whould I use deny vs. drop. Seems to me that any time I'm denying
> someone I might was well drop the connection? Or are there situations
> where I might deny something but let them continue?

1. The remote server is trying to send you a message with two recipients,
and has a bad address for one of them. Do you really want to drop the
connection.

2. The remote server plans to send you 10 messages down the same connection,
and has a bad address associated with the first one. Do you really want to
drop the connection?

3. The connection is from a client MUA. Do you really want to drop it in
the face of an error?

I presently have 44 lines in one of my configurations containing "deny" and
one in the same config containing "drop". The drop is a comment; some of
the "deny" lines are log entry content or comments, leaving 35 or so deny
statements in ACLs.

--John