Re: [exim] same domain router to different servers

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Stephen Gran
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] same domain router to different servers
On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:33:27PM -0600, JupiterHost.Net said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:38:04AM -0600, JupiterHost.Net said:
> >>
> >>Wow let me try that again :)
> >>
> >>When mail is sent to fred@??? it will go to server 2.
> >>If server 1 by chance gets it then it will forward it to server 2 for
> >>handling.
> >>
> >>There hope thats easier to understand ;p
> >

> >It sounds good, except that you're not really lightening the load in
> >this case - both servers will still process everybody's mail, and still
> >deliver it, just not to their mailbox, necessarily.
>
> Yeah, I was looking for a disk space saver idea ;p but you're right the
> load would not be less necessarily...
>
> >If you're looking to lighten the load for tasks like pop/imap, move the
> >deliveries to one of several back end machines that only receive the
> >email and deliver to mailboxes. You can use LDAP+perdition to scale
> >decisions about which machine the mail for an individual user goes to in
> >order to scale the backend, if need be.
>
> Yes that is what I'm looking for ;p
>
> So there's no way to make exim look at the recipient and fire it off to
> another server?

Of course - there are probably more than I can imagine :). What I am
trying to say is it seems like it would make more sense to make
architectural decisions first, and implementation decisions after.

Since you are going to also have to keep imap/pop connections in sync, I
would suggest using something like perdition, and looking at the docs for
that piece of software - IIRC it can use flat files, sql, ldap and maybe
others for routing and authentication, so I would just have exim use
whatever implementation you choose for it. ISTM that exim will likely
be the more flexible of the two.
|  Stephen Gran                  | As Zeus said to Narcissus, "Watch       |
|  steve@???             | yourself."                              |