Re: [exim] same domain router to different servers

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] same domain router to different servers
On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:38:04AM -0600, JupiterHost.Net said:
> JupiterHost.Net wrote:
> >Hello group,
> >
> >In the interest of "spreading" the wealth I was wondering if this is
> >possible:
> >
> > Could you have 2 (or more) exim servers that handle mail for the smae
> >domain *AND* each one handles certain accounts?
> >
> >For instance:
> >
> > foo.com
> >
> >server 1:
> > user1@???
> > user2@???
> >
> >server 2:
> > fred@???
> > joe@???
> >
> >When mail is sent to fred@??? it goes to server 2 and if server 1
> >receives it, it will forward it to server 1 for handling?
>
> Wow let me try that again :)
>
> When mail is sent to fred@??? it will go to server 2.
> If server 1 by chance gets it then it will forward it to server 2 for
> handling.
>
> There hope thats easier to understand ;p

It sounds good, except that you're not really lightening the load in
this case - both servers will still process everybody's mail, and still
deliver it, just not to their mailbox, necessarily.

If you're looking to lighten the load for tasks like pop/imap, move the
deliveries to one of several back end machines that only receive the
email and deliver to mailboxes. You can use LDAP+perdition to scale
decisions about which machine the mail for an individual user goes to in
order to scale the backend, if need be.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Cutler Webster's Law:  There are two    |
|  steve@???             | sides to every argument, unless a       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | person  is personally involved, in      |
|                       | which case there is only one.           |