Re: [exim] Wishlist item: specify error codes in ACL.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Wishlist item: specify error codes in ACL.
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

> I'd like to be able to specify an error code in an ACL when rejecting
> mail. For example:
>
>    deny    errorcode = 551
>        message = "You are publishing an SPF record but I would have to forward the mail to <$acl_m9>"
>        condition = ${if !eq{$acl_m9}{} {1}}

> The same should be possible for deferral too.

From the WishList section "things that didn't make it into Exim 4":

. Allow :fail: to specify that 551 be used instead of 550. Maybe allow a
  code at the start, optionally? What about :defer:?

That isn't an ACL, of course. However, "deny" implies 5xx, so you
shouldn't be able to specify the first digit.

Are you seriously expecting any/some/many/all SMTP clients to actually
differentiate between 550 and 551? Even RFC 2821 admits that it is a
lost cause:

      But, if a 551 code is used, they [servers] MUST NOT assume that
      the client will actually update address information or even return
      that information to the user.

> I don't actually see RFC1893/RFC2034 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES on the wishlist
> either, for that matter.

Hmm. I thought it was a buried item like RFC1892, which has been there
for over 5 years, but I can't find it either. Not many people have been
calling for it.