Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max

Author: Chris Edwards
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max
| Is there any formula or rule of thumb for working out what
| smtp_accept_max should be set to. Is there any way of telling if you are
| hitting the max and users are getting connections denied ?

Sort of related, as well as smtp_accept_max, we set smtp_accept_max_per_host
to a low value (currently 5 over each of 2 MXs).

This appears to do a useful job of slowing the ratware, some of which
doesn't even bother retrying, whilst rarely delaying friendly senders who
batch mails into a single or small number of connections.

OK, a few subscribed-for bulk mail sites running abusive floodware such as
lyris or qmail get a number of of defers, but we can live with that...

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service