Re: [exim] SSL SMTP

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Tony Finch
CC: Exim-Users \(E-mail\), Ron McKeating
Subject: Re: [exim] SSL SMTP
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 16:52 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> > You will see it uses port 465, esmtpsa and plain authentication. Ximain
> > evolution cannot use tls_on_connect so it must be using starttls on port
> > 465.
>
> A bit of googling suggests that Evolution does the right thing depending
> on which port you choose.

Evolution's handling of SSL/TLS is (I think) a little non-intuitive.

For both IMAP and SMTP there are (separate) settings for
Use Secure Connection (SSL):

The options are:-
      * Never    - obvious effect
      * Whenever Possible - which means it connects in clear and then
        does STARTTLS (so its the standard or MSA port setting)
      * Always    - do SSL on connect - ie the IMAPS or SSMTP setting

I typically use the "Whenever possible" setting against the MSA port or
the IMAP port (as appropriate). The port setting is separate and
orthogonal to this "Security" setting.

    Nigel.