[exim] Virtual domain aliases

Autor: Joshua Lokken
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Virtual domain aliases
Hello,

I'm running a rather outdated version of Exim:

Exim version 4.31 #0 built 06-Apr-2004 12:01:13
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2004
Probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)
Support for: iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl OpenSSL
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch
ldap ldapdn ldapm nis nis0 passwd
Authenticators: cram_md5 plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Contains exiscan-acl patch revision 16 (c) Tom Kistner
[http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/]
Configuration file is /usr/local/etc/exim/configure

on FreeBSD-4.10 RELEASE.

However, it's been working very well for me. *I am not
running an elaborate configuration*, though I built Exim
with support for much more than I needed. I am serving
mail for three domains, domain_a, domain_b, domain_c.
There are three local user accounts on the machine that
I wish to deliver to for each domain, as such:

 Mail to                                  Deliver to
*@domain_a                            user_a
*@domain_b                            user_b
*@domain_c                            user_c

Currently I have, in /usr/local/etc/exim/configure:

primary_hostname = mailserver.domain.tld
never_users = root
exim_user = mailnull
exim_group = mail
daemon_smtp_ports = smtp

[snip]

domainlist local_domains = "swabbies.org :\
                           dbm;/usr/local/etc/exim/domains.dbm"

[snip]

## Virtual Domains
#
virtual:
driver = redirect
domains = dbm;/usr/local/etc/exim/domains.dbm
no_more
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/mail/$domain}}

The virtual router is placed after the system_aliases and
before the localuser router(s). /usr/local/etc/exim/domains
contains:

domain_a
domain_b
domain_c

and I have /etc/mail/aliases, /etc/mail/domain_a,
/etc/mail/domain_b, and /etc/mail/domain_c

in each aliases file I have the following:
/etc/mail/domain_a

user_a:   user_a@domain_a
ftp:         user_a

When I do `exim -bt user_a@domain_a`, I get what I
expect:

user_a@domain_a
<-- user_a@domain_a
router = localuser, transport = local_delivery

But I cannot get any other aliases for each domain to
resolve: `exim -bt ftp@domain_a

ftp@domain_a is undeliverable:
Unrouteable address
--------

I'm not sure if there's a problem with the way I'm writing
the alias files for those domains, or if I've specified the
data lookup incorrectly in the virtual router, or neither,
and something else is confusing me. Any insight is very
welcome. Thank you.

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate