Re: [exim] Different ports on a manualroute router?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Different ports on a manualroute router?
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Marc Haber wrote:

> the manualroute router allows to set a list of hosts to try in
> sequence or random order when delivering a message. Is it also
> possible to specify a port to connect to on the remote host?

No. This item is in the WishList, in the section entitled "Things that
didn't make it into Exim 4":

. Specify a port along with a host in a route_list.

There's never been enough time/pressure to take it up.

> I'd like to have a rule like "try port 25 on host A, if that fails,
> try port 587 on host A, and if _that_ fails too, try port 25 on host
> B", so setting the port option on the transport is too global.

Not if you use 3 different transports. You *can* specify a transport
along with each rule. This facility is hidden away in just one sentence:
the second sentence of 20.6, though there is also an example, the second
example in the 2nd last bullet in that chapter.