Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Tony Finch
Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Ah ha! I didn't realize synchronous delivery was the key feature of the
> mua_wrapper veature. Is that really what's wanted in such a config
> though -- i.e. do you really want to force the MUA to have its own
> queueing mechanism and to force it to used its own queuing mechanism?

The mua_wrapper feature was designed for machines which are permanently
connected and which dual-boot between Windows and Linux. Therefore they
must not have a local queue of any kind: after the user logs out of Linux
the machine may not be booted into Linux again before it is reinstalled.
Instead the queue lives on the central email systems, which are assumed to
be permanently available. The error handling model is that the user must
deal with any problems, so as you say the problems must be immediately
visible to the user.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: NORTHEAST 4 OR 5 INCREASING 6. RAIN LATER. GOOD BECOMING