Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Marc Haber
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
[ On Monday, November 22, 2004 at 23:09:05 (+0100), Marc Haber wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
>
> How should the daemons on a intermittently connected workstation
> communicate with their owner?

Through _log_ files if they must. (and maybe with a pretty GUI
interface and some kind of smart post-processing to weed out the noise
and just present the important bits)

(and what the heck does "intermittently connected" have to do with anything?)

> Please not that this is not the case for Debian GNU/Linux, which sees
> itself as the Universal Operating System. So we'll have to do
> something for all possible uses.

Well, yes, but that "something" does not, and should not, be _one_ thing.

You can provide multiple sets of configuration files and some big switch
that lets the user choose what style of use they will be making of their
system. E.g. one configuration for "intermittently connected
workstation", one for fully connected primary internet gateway, one for
intranet-server-only, etc., etc., etc.

And that same rule of thumb applies for all subsystems, not just e-mail!

You'll never ever in a million years get one single configuration that
can dynamically respond without user control and policy direction to any
and every possible universal use of a general computing platform (at
least not so long as we're without true artificial intelligence that can
think faster than anyone else can do anything it needs to adapt for :-).

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>