[exim] Wishlist item: synchronous deliver

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Wishlist item: synchronous deliver
Philip Hazel wrote:
> With mua_wrapper=true,
> you get the following:
>
>     When run in MUA wrapping mode, the behaviour of Exim changes in the
>     following ways:

>     (b) Each message is synchonously delivered as soon as it is received (-odi
>         is assumed). All queueing options (queue_only, queue_smtp_domains,
>         control=queue, control=freeze in an ACL etc.) are quietly ignored. The
>         Exim reception process does not finish until the delivery attempt is
>         complete. If the delivery was successful, a zero return code is given.

Would it be possible to make sync-deliver seperately available?  This would aid
me when forwarding, or providing secondary-MX, to a site which does content-based
reject.    The classic example here is AOL, for which I pile up undeliverables....
and then undeliverable bounces.

I've been wanting to write a patch myself, in my copious free time, but there
are of course some nasty gotchas.

- it should fallback to store-forward when the destination isn't there or temp-fails
(including at DATA?)
- programming for multiple recipients (and a mix of synchronous and traditional) will
be a pain but not impossible. Probably the outgoing connections should be made
between the DATA command receipt and "go ahead" response.
- "control = synch" in an ACL sounds plausible as an activation mechanism,
on the other hand:
- it'd be nice to only make one outbound connection when both synch and
verify = recipient/callout were in operation

If I've missed this being already possible, my apologies!

Cheers,
     Jeremy