Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Marc Haber wrote:

> >I'm using Gentoo Linux.
>
> That surprises me ;)

Why? The first Linux box I had was my laptop. I installed Debian but
soon found that it was too conservative and I needed later releases of
various bits of software. I got the system into quite a mess. When I got
a desktop PC, I therefore installed Gentoo because it is nearer the
bleeding edge. It is also very much a geek's distribution, doesn't come
with lots of stuff you don't want[1], and I also like the fact that it
doesn't really have "releases" - it just rolls on with new versions of
the various components. I now have it on my desktop at work, my desktop
at home, and my laptop.

> Where do your cronjobs send mail to if they fail?

Cronjobs? :-)

Neither my laptop nor my home desktop are switched on all the time.
Consequently, the only cronjobs are a few that cycle log files etc.
(when they get the chance). They tend not to fail.

What I am saying is that, in this particular environment, I don't seem
to have suffered by not running an MTA.

Philip
[1] That's the theory. In practice, once you start installing any
applications, they drag in all kinds of stuff that you don't really know
about.