Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Marc Haber wrote:

> >Although I run an MTA on my desktop at work (where I develop Exim, so it
> >would be kind of silly not to :), I do not do so on my desktop machine
> >at home, or on my laptop. I don't seem to have missed anything by this
> >behaviour.
>
> That might be caused by the fact that you use a MUA that - IIRC - has
> rudimentary offline capabilities by itself which is not the case for a
> lot of other UNIX software.

No, that is not what I meant. I do not run an MUA on my desktop machine
at home or on my laptop. I ssh to a different host and run my MUA there.

What I meant was that in my desktop and laptop environments the local
processes don't seem to want to send me email, or if they do, it's
vanished and I haven't missed it. Of course, this may be a
characteristic of the particular way I have set up the machines. I agree
that *in principle* processes may want to send email.

> otoh, IIRC, you are not using a GNU system.

I'm using Gentoo Linux.