Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Marc Haber
Para: Exim User's Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:53:23 +0100, "Jan-Peter Koopmann"
<Jan-Peter.Koopmann@???> wrote:
>nice to see you here... :-)

*grins* Spending too much time with broken N*tscr**n software lately
:-(, back to S*m*nt*c soon :-(((

>> A very common configuration in Germany is that a site has a
>> DSL line with dynamic IP address (forced to change every 24
>> hours) and has a simple NAT router to the outside.
>
>That is of course true and common for most countries. To be
>honest, people/customers who try to use such a configuration
>as a "cheap" substitute for a real solution are getting on my nerves.

Well, there are a few ISPs offering affordable "real" Internet
connectivity, but their service is bad on other counts. See
http://torres.zugschlus.de/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=World.Europe.Germany.tal-de-lambdanet-net
for what I mean :-(

>In some cases there simply is no good/easy/cheap substitute.
>Moreover: It is not that expensive to get a static IP on DSL
>in Germany as well. If you want/need to run your own MTA
>that is directly sending/receiving mail then IMHO you will
>need a static IP and you should surely have a correct DNS
>configuration with a correct Reverse-DNS. This is the
>consultants job though educating the customer.

I do that when I wear my consultant hat. But currently, I am here with
my Debian exim4 maintainer hat on, where I have to support what my
users choose as their internet connectivity.

>Agreed: Not all customers will understand and be willing to
>spend the extra Euros on a static IP. They will run into
>trouble and to be honest they should!

Even when wearing my business hat, I'd rather have customers in
trouble than non-customers.

Greetings
Marc