RE: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Jan-Peter Koopmann
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
Hi Marc,

nice to see you here... :-)

> A very common configuration in Germany is that a site has a
> DSL line with dynamic IP address (forced to change every 24
> hours) and has a simple NAT router to the outside.

That is of course true and common for most countries. To be honest, people/customers who try to use such a configuration as a "cheap" substitute for a real solution are getting on my nerves. In some cases there simply is no good/easy/cheap substitute. Moreover: It is not that expensive to get a static IP on DSL in Germany as well. If you want/need to run your own MTA that is directly sending/receiving mail then IMHO you will need a static IP and you should surely have a correct DNS configuration with a correct Reverse-DNS. This is the consultants job though educating the customer.

Agreed: Not all customers will understand and be willing to spend the extra Euros on a static IP. They will run into trouble and to be honest they should!

Regards,
JP