Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Florian Weimer
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
* Marc Haber:

> I will suggest to the Debian exim4 maintainer team to change exim4's
> default behavior for the Debian configuration.
>
> # These settings allow local users to specify their own envelope sender
> # in a locally submitted message. Sender: headers existing in a locally
> # submitted message are not removed, and no automatic Sender: headers
> # are added. These settings are fine for most hosts.
> # If you run exim on a classical multi-user systems where all users
> # have local mailboxes that can be reached via SMTP from the Internet
> # with the local FQDN as the domain part of the address, you might want
> # to disable the following three lines for traceability reasons.
> local_from_check = false
> local_sender_retain = true
> untrusted_set_sender = *

I think this is fine for the target audience of Debian's default Exim
configuration.

Those who have actual multi-user machines and care about such things
probably write their Exim configuration from scratch. However, in
order to track mail sent from local users, you also have to filter
outbound 25/TCP connections and activate identd (for local TCP
connections).