[exim] IPv6 address comparison, and callout vs VRFY

Autor: Wouter Verhelst
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] IPv6 address comparison, and callout vs VRFY
Hi,

I've got two questions:

* First, on a number of occasions I've had bugs in my exim.conf that
occured because IPv6 addresses in exim, by default, aren't
canonicalized. According to the IPv6 standards, "2001:ab8:37f:20::1"
and "2001:ab8:38f:20:0:0:0:1" are equal. However, to exim -who does
string comparison- they are not. This has bitten me on a number of
occasions where I ran 'exim -bhc 2001:ab8:37f:20::1' to check my ACL
rules, and was surprised that it didn't work afterwards, since exim
compares the address in the ACL rule to an address in the second form,
which it sees as different. Is there a way to canonicalize IPv6
addresses before comparing them?
* Second, I love exim's callout address checking feature, but I just
wonder, why does exim use a regular SMTP conversation to test the
existance of remote addresses, rather than using VRFY? It seems to me
that the latter was especially made for this kind of thing, no?

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks