RE: [exim] abuse report

Autor: Hochstrasser Benedikt
A: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] abuse report
Marilyn Davis wrote:

> Do you mean that if our users log in and generate spam, we can
> get black-listed?

Yes.
Usually you should get a warning mailed to abuse@yourdomain which
informs you about spam originating from your site and the possible
consequences.

> In any case, does anyone have any clever tricks for watching
> for user-generated spam? Count how many addresses they send
> to per 5 minutes and if it is high, look into it? I want to
> get away from spamassassin and such filter tools because I
> don't want to play the spam-war anymore. I want to win.

We all want to win. :)

Many ISPs throttle outgoing SMTP in many ways: They require the
users to log on (even if they're coming from a "trusted" IP range)
so that they can trace who sent when to whom (probably not what
because of privacy laws) should problems arise.
Then there often is a limit of recipients-per-message and
messages-per-hour in order to prevent spam flooding (including
stuff generated by a virus on some "innocent" user's home PC.)

I did not look into exim+throttling yet because we only have
well-behaving users. ;-)

--
Ben